Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being cozy in your new room throughout the year is a priority. However, they can present a unique problem for comfort. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the higher load, as it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most affordable possibilities is to install a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition could be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, since they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your addition comfier. In actuality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for added rebates and reduce your energy costs for many years.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Because each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is particularly helpful if you have a room with specific temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Having a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s smarter than extending ductwork and relying on your current heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total figure will depend on your home, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system might become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your home before the addition. This could overwork your system and make it wear down faster.
- Your comfort might decrease. As your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort may be reduced if your system has to cover a bigger space. Your heating and cooling could be less efficient, and your electricity and gas expenses may go up as a result of the system needing to run more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you get the right size for your new addition. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in big energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or longer when adequately serviced. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you pick the recommended model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide assistance. Give us a call at 954-736-4314 now to request a free consultation and estimate.