When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair technician to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back outside, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Fort Lauderdale, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in Fort Lauderdale or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 954-736-4314 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.