As cooler weather gets closer, now is a great time to get started thinking about your residence’s carbon monoxide detectors. When heating season is underway, the Centers for Disease Control says the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning builds.
Carbon monoxide is a hazardous gas that’s colorless, odorless and tasteless. It’s a result of combustion your gas furnace uses to warm your house. When your furnace is operating properly, the gas is safely vented outside of your residence. Breaks in your furnace’s heat exchanger or flue pipes can cause carbon monoxide to appear into your house, where prolonged exposure can be fatal.
Although carbon monoxide poisoning is avoidable, the CDC says at least 430 people in the U.S. die because of it every year. And another approximately 50,000 people are transported to the hospital due to related issues, including headaches, dizziness and vomiting.
The best ways you can help your home is by scheduling yearly maintenance of all gas, oil, or wood burning appliances, including your furnace and water heater, and using a carbon monoxide detector. From plug-in to smart carbon monoxide detectors, there’s an option on the market to work for your residence and budget.
H2: Smart Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smart carbon monoxide detectors, like the Nest carbon monoxide detector, make it simple to remain in control for keeping your loved ones safe. They’re often sold as duo carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and can usually be linked with other smart home devices via Wi-Fi.
Here are a few other perks of using them in your home:
- Signals that there’s trouble through voice notifications, plus alerts on your phone.
- Pinpoints the problem room, such as the kitchen or basement.
- Can be quieted from your phone.
- Automatically tests its sensors and batteries and shares findings through a useful report on your phone.
- Alerts you of dying batteries with an alert on your phone, not a loud chirp in the middle of the night.
- Lasts up to 10 years, depending on the brand.
The only downside of using Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors is the price. These detectors are typically much pricier than their plug-in or battery-powered counterparts. But they also offer many beneficial and valuable features you don’t find in a non-smart device.
When you’re buying a new device, it’s vital to learn where to put carbon monoxide detectors. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector around five feet above the floor or on the ceiling. This is due to the fact carbon monoxide can rise with heated air.
We advise using a detector on each floor of your house, especially outside bedrooms. You’ll want to be certain the alarm will wake you up.
Battery-Powered and Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Plug-in and battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors are the most reasonable. A few of the most popular models are Kidde carbon monoxide detectors and First Alert carbon monoxide detectors.
But they also have fewer features that don’t link with your phone or smart home devices. They generally have a digital display and test button, which you’ll have to remember to use.
The National Fire Protection Association recommends testing hardwired carbon monoxide alarms each month. Battery-powered detectors that don’t plug in need to be tested every week. If you’re concerned about how to test for carbon monoxide, it’s more or less easy. Press the button to make sure your detector is running.
If your detector is hardwired, make sure to swap the backup battery at least every year. If it’s battery-powered, you’ll want to change it once a month to skip the annoying chirp in the middle of the night.
If you’re hearing a chirp or your carbon monoxide detector is beeping regularly, it generally indicates it has a low battery. Or, it’s approaching the end of its life. How long carbon monoxide detectors run depends on the brand you have. In general, it’s between 5–10 years, but make sure to review instructions from your device’s manufacturer.
If you’re confused about why your carbon monoxide detector is beeping, it’s often due to the fact it’s detected dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide. If your carbon monoxide detector is going off with continued, loud beeping, leave your house as quickly as possible and call 911.
Now is a good time to confirm your carbon monoxide detector is working properly before heating season begins. If you need to request furnace maintenance or you’re interested in upgrading to smart carbon monoxide detectors, the Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can assist you. Contact us at 954-736-4314 today and we’ll help you select the best carbon monoxide detector for your residence.