Every year over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Turn off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like porcelain tile. Keep children and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a stove to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 954-736-4314 today and find out how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.