Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are lots of potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. This toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can quickly be fatal, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. There is no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do: If you do not have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Fort Lauderdale to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Take the necessary steps and call Service Experts in Fort Lauderdale at 954-736-4314 to learn more.